SouthEast Lights Projects - Production

>
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image

Creating The Environment

In the mid 80's, I was forced to begin growing indoors by a vindictive ex-wife. Complete stealth was required for the grow area, as I had small children and did not want them exposed to grow activities (they do not know I grow to this day). The only alternative was to enclose a 2' X 5' closet with drywall, drill multiple 1" holes through the floor/subfloor for ventilation, replace the light with a fart fan of epic proportions, and re-position the closet rod higher to support a light.

Now I had to purchase a real grow light. The old fluorescents from the 70's I had been using to sprout seedlings for spring planting were not going to be able to flower the Jamaican and Columbian Type IV/hybrids. Went to the bookstore (there and libraries are where we went for information back in those days) and got an issue of High Times. Saw an ad for a company selling HID lighting and ordered a 1000 watt metal halide light. Very big mistake, search "Operation Green Merchant" for a paranoia inducing tale of what it was like. I never got busted but read of those who did and lived in fear and paranoia for many years. However, the light itself was magnificent, it still works like it did on day one.

In 2013, I made a commitment to go LED after researching photosynthetically active radiation (PAR). I'm going to mention the lights I've used for informational reasons only, absolutely no endorsements or recommendations, because I would make different choices today. This will illustrate the commitment to providing plants with the maximum amount of light I could provide, limited by total electrical consumption. In my area, as in most of the U.S. that is still under Prohibition, excessive power bills are probable cause for a search warrant.

I germinate and incubate seedlings with a G8LED 240, veg and flower in the closet with dual Lumigrow 325's supplemented with a California Lightworks 220 Bloombooster. After the U.S. election in 2016, I needed a 4 X 4 tent for the additional consumption required for the next 4 years. I lit the tent with dual KingPlus 1800 lights putting out ~1900 PAR at 6". With the alternating system I use, electrical consumption is never more than it was with one 1000 watt MH.

Maximizing Roots And Leaves

Roots + Leaves = Flowers

Everything I do is focused on that equation. I want optimal root development for maximum leaf production, because those two things combine to provide the energy necessary to produce extraordinary flowers. The cannabis plant does not require super specialized, highly priced soils, fertilizers, conditioners, bacterial additives, supplemental CO2, vitamins, bloom boosters... ad fucking nauseum.

I have tried and tested many organic vs. chemical soils, as well as fertilizers and additives, when I began participating in the Usenet newsgroup alt.drugs.pot.cultivation and the BCGA forum in the 90's. I objectively recorded my observations during several grows and there were essentially no differences between the groups in my controlled environment. The only purpose of these products is to separate you from your money.

I use and recycle whatever commercially available potting soil is on sale, after I flush it with several hundreds gallons of spring water, a definite advantage to living in the mountains. I use 7 or 10 gallon fabric soil containers, development and experimental plants in the smaller container, production in the larger one. Fabric containers are the best thing to happen for root development in the last 30 years. I water to maintain an alternating, balanced moist vs. dry environment for optimal root development.

I fertilize when needed with Peter's 20-20-20 to maintain dark, green leaves without burning the leaf tips. I fertilize until harvest to maintain leaf color without a hint of yellowing. The only chemical deficiency I've ever experienced was on the fourth recycle of soil, when a severe Ca deficiency developed. Though difficult at the time to diagnose, a Ca-Mg supplement was a rapid and effective treatment. The deficiency was caused by the extensive flushing between grows.

If you take care of the plant, it will take care of you.

Continue to Experimental